This is the PERFECT Valentine’s Day treat that your love is sure to…well…LOVE!
For the French Toast-
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup organic milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- 8-12 thick slices organic bread
- 1/2 cup nutella (more or less)
- 8-10 strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup organic heavy whipping cream
- Organic Powdered sugar to taste
- In a shallow pie plate or dish, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and nutmeg until well-combined. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter or a sharp paring knife (free hand the heart shape, which is what I did), cut a heart out of each piece of bread. I like to save the crusts and excess bread for homemade bread crumbs – just toss them all in a ziploc bag and put them in the freezer.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat (add a bit of butter if your skillet is prone to sticking). Dip each piece of heart-shaped bread into the egg/milk picture so the liquid soaks into the bread. Cook the bread for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Remove to a plate and repeat the process until all the bread is cooked. Whip the cream and powdered sugar (to taste, 1/2 tablespoon or so) until stiff peaks form.
- Spread a healthy amount of nutella on one slice of cooked bread. Top with sliced strawberries. Spread nutella on another slice of bread and place the bread nutella side up on top of the strawberries. Top with another layer of sliced strawberries and a final piece of french toast. Dollop a bit of whipped cream on top and sprinkle with a bit of grated nutmeg, if desired.
For the Bacon-
- 12 slices of turkey bacon
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut your bacon slices in half.
- Use 2 pieces of the cut in half bacon and shape them into a heart on a sheet pan (make sure this pan has sides so the grease doesn’t get all over your oven!).
- Bake for 18 – 25 minutes (or until done).
Serve the French toast with bacon and orange juice to make a delicious Valentine’s Day breakfast!