I made this meal for my family a little while back and they went CRAZY over it! And if I do say so myself, it was delicious! Of course, you can always make each individual part of the meal separately, but together….WOW. Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, and Baked Green Beans with Basil Aioli. This meal together will serve four people.
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wrap Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 chicken breasts (about ¾ lb. total), diced
- 8 leaves of greenleaf lettuce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all stir fry sauce ingredients making sure to dissolve brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in pan over medium to medium high heat. Add diced chicken and brown (about 4-5 minutes). Remove chicken from oil. Add onions, garlic and 1 teaspoon soy sauce to pan; brown. When onions and garlic are brown and tender, add stir fry sauce, browned chicken, and cashews. Saute mixture for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Spoon chicken mixture into individual lettuce leaves.
Scalloped Potato Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons Kerrygold butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds (and peeled beforehand, if desired)
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the flour until it is evenly combined and saute for an additional 1-minute. Pour in the stock, and whisk until combined. Add in the milk, salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon thyme, and whisk until combined. Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until the sauce comes to a simmer (not a boil) and thickens. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Then spread half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Top evenly with half of the cream sauce, the sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese, and all of the Parmesan cheese. Top evenly with the remaining sliced potatoes, the remaining half of the cream sauce, and the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme. Serve warm.
Baked Green Beans Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup organic while milk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Fill a large pan with 2-3 inches of water and bring to a boil. While water comes to a boil, trim the green beans. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Blanch the beans for 3 minutes and immediately remove them to the ice bath.
- To prepare beans, gather three bowls. In the first bowl, combine the flour and spices. In the second bowl, combine the egg and milk, whisking to combine. In the third and final bowl, place the panko and season with salt and pepper. Remove 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture and whisk into the egg/milk mixture.
- Pat the beans dry and dredge in the flour mixture, then into the milk/egg mixture, and finally into the panko to coat. Arrange the beans in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil which has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Prepare all of the beans in that manner. Lightly spray beans with olive oil spray.
- Bake beans at 425 F for 15 minutes, or until slightly browned.
Basil Aioli Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, pressed
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup light olive oil Vegenaise
- Process ingredients together in a food processor. Refrigerate until served.