February is all about celebrating the people that we love, but I also like to celebrate the foods that I LOVE since hello, I’m kind of obsessed with food. Ever since I tried my first Acai Bowl, I was immediately hooked (like everyone else that has tried one). When I lived in Utah, there was this adorable place called Ivie Juice Bar, and this was where I experienced my first bowl. It was piled high with coconut, pineapple, and set off with that majestic purple/pink color Acai is known for. When I came back to Asheville, I found a place on Merrimon Avenue called Elements Real Food (which is an organic cafe and juice bar) that also has fantastic Acai bowls complete with homemade granola and a DELICIOUS cashew caramel sauce. So as you can see, me and Acai bowls go way back and I seriously can’t get enough.
A few weeks ago on Instagram I saw that Trader Joe’s was carrying a frozen Unsweetened Organic Acai Packet. OMG!!!! I was soooo excited to try it out. My current favorite way to make an Acai bowl. The packets are individualized, so all you have to do is let it thaw a little, break it into small pieces, and add to the blender with your ingredients! It’s fabulous. Trader Joe’s always seems to have the yummiest finds. I also found this delicious Coconut/Cranberry Granola which is so tasty, and their coconut water is one of my favorite kinds as well; it tastes as close to the real thing as you can find!
Something I love about Acai bowls (other than the taste) is that they are so versatile! You can mix up the ingredients/toppings to fit your preference. Or if you’re like me, you will mix them up depending on what color/theme the current holiday is; this part of the process is so much fun! For Valentine’s Day, I stuck with beautiful reds, pinks, and chocolate OF COURSE. This would be the perfect V-Day breakfast in bed for your love, or even just a nice healthy treat for yourself. We all deserve a little more self-love and care right? You could even arrange the toppings in the shape of a heart or write a cute little note….that would be adorable.
One thing that you should consider when eating things like smoothie/acai bowls is that they do contain quite a bit of sugar from all of the fruit and toppings. I recommend just having them once in a while for a special treat.
- 2 packs of Unsweetened Organic Acai packets (I found mine at Trader Joe's)
- 1 organic banana
- 1 C. frozen organic strawberries/blueberries/raspberries
- 1 C. organic coconut water (I also used Trader Joe's brand)
- ½ C. organic coconut milk
- 3 T. flaxseeds (optional)
- stevia (to taste)
- ½ C. organic granola (I used a cranberry/coconut from Trader Joe's)
- ½ organic banana, sliced
- ¼ C. frozen organic raspberries/blueberries/strawberries
- ¼ C. organic shredded coconut
- 1 T. raw honey
- 2 T. organic chocolate chips
- 2 T. organic peanut butter (or any other nut butter of choice)
- Break the frozen Acai up into chunks and place in blender. Add other Acai Bowl ingredients and then blend well. Sweeten with Stevia until you reach your desired taste.
- Add all of your wonderful and delicious toppings that you like, and drizzle with peanut butter or raw honey (or BOTH)! Enjoy!
Ingedients I used to make this recipe extra-yummy:
- Trader Joe’s Coconut Cranberry Granola
- Trader Joe’s Coconut Water
If you guys get a chance to try this fabulous recipe, tag me on Instagram @adancersplate or #embraceyourplate so that I can see your beautiful creation!