Who doesn’t love a nice warm bowl of creamy soup during the Winter? Even though…this 60 degree weather in January is throwing me off a little bit. I have the door open at work right now you guys! CRAZY. But I still freeze in the evenings, so last night I whipped up a pot of this soup and it really hit the spot.
I have never made anything like this soup before, and it was great to cook (and eat) something new and different. At first I was kind of skeptical if I would even like it or if it would have enough flavor. I was soooo impressed. This soup is creamy and bursts with flavor. Roasting the veggies really enhances their flavor, and the combo of spices makes things interesting and delicious!
Not only is it super yummy, but extremely healthy as well. I have been struggling to get my veggies in every day. This soup is chalked full of vegetables but it doesn’t taste weirdly vegetabley (probably not a word haha). But you know what I mean, that gross baby food taste that a vegetable soup can sometimes have. I love that about this, and I also love how extremely easy it is to make. That is always a factor in deciding what to make each day because I am constantly on the go.
This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is great by itself, but before serving I drizzled a little coconut milk, shredded some Kerrygold cheese, and sprinkled with some roasted seeds on top. Served with a side of sourdough bread, this is the perfect meal for a cold Winter’s night.
- 1 T. organic olive oil
- 1 large organic butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 organic carrots, diced
- ½ medium organic onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 C. organic chicken broth
- ½ C. full-fat organic coconut milk
- ½ T. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground sage
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- tiny dash of Stevia
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Kerrygold cheese for topping (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put squash, carrots, and onion onto baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 30-45 minutes on until soft and caramelized. (This baking time depends on your oven). You may need to take the onion and carrot out first, then allow the squash to continue cooking.)
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Place roasted veggies, stock, coconut milk, cinnamon, sage, nutmeg and a little cracked pepper into the blender. Process for 3-4 minutes, adding more chicken stock if necessary to thin the soup out a bit. The result should be a smooth consistency.
- Taste soup at this point and see if it needs to be a little sweeter (I like my soup to have a slightly sweet taste). Add a TINY amount of Stevia to your soup if desired.
- Pour contents into a large pot and heat on medium-high heat until warmed.
- Top soup with coconut milk, shredded Kerrygold cheese, and roasted seeds. Serve with a side of warm sourdough bread and enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from Stupid Easy Paleo.