Sometimes what seems like a crazy combo will end up being one of your favorite meals! As you guys know, I’m all about bowl recipes lately. I CANNOT get over how delicious this was you guys. I hadn’t had sausage links like this in sooooo long! I remember eating them with my Granmmy when I was little; they have this wonderfully distinctive smell. I will be having them more often now for sure.
This bowl has a lot of Fall flavors, but that didn’t stop me from eating it now, and I will probably make it again soon. The savory flavors from the avocado, sausage, and butternut squash mesh so well with the sweetness of the caramelized walnuts and apples. Coconut sugar always does the best job of caramelizing nuts or fruit.
I have had this bowl idea as a screenshot on my phone since September of last year! I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to try it. Shoutout to Pretty Pretty Pineapple for this amazing idea! Her recipes are always so colorful, delish, and unique.
Something really nice about recipes like this is that they are super easy to double. I can eat something 2-3 days in a row if I really like it, so I just doubled this recipe and ate the leftovers the next day; it was fabulous! If you do that, make sure to squeeze a little lemon juice on your avocado so that it doesn’t turn brown. The edible lifespan of an avocado is one of my pet-peeves! I was super excited about eating one this morning and when I cut into it, it was almost black. I bought it YESTERDAY. Ugh. Worst ever.
Ingredients I used to make this recipe extra-yummy:
- Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 small organic butternut squash (peeled and diced)
- 1 tsp. organic olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Celtic sea salt (to taste)
- 2 mild Italian sausage links, diced
- ½ of an organic avocado, diced
- 1 T. organic coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ of an organic apple, diced
- 1 T. organic coconut sugar
- dried cranberries and feta cheese (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle squash with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic and salt (to taste). Roast in the oven for 35 minutes, turning halfway through the baking time.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat, and saute diced sausage until browned well on both sides. Remove from heat.
- In a small pot, heat coconut oil on medium high heat. Add your walnuts, apple, and coconut sugar, Stir and continue to cook until caramelized. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, butternut squash, avocado, caramelized apples/walnut mixture.
- Top with dried cranberries and feta cheese, and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this yummy bowl, make sure to tag me on Instagram @adancersplate and #embraceyourplate so that I can see your beautiful creations!