This recipe is absolutely wonderful, so versatile, and extremely healthy! I added chocolate chips to make a sweet breakfast bread, but you can add anything you want to enjoy it for breakfast or dinner.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup+1/3 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour, divided
- 1 egg white, beaten until frothy (for egg wash)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a large baking sheet with some olive or coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, oil, honey or maple syrup, egg yolks, and yeast. Whisk together and set aside.
- Crack the egg whites into a metal or glass bowl (not plastic or copper) and whisk until soft peaks form.
- In another smaller bowl, combine 1 cup cassava flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Whisk the cassava flour mixture into the yeast mixture.
- Carefully fold the egg white into the yeast and cassava flour mixture.
- Fold in the coconut flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in the remaining 1/3 cup cassava flour.
- If adding chocolate chips, gently fold them into the dough.
- Carefully scoop the dough onto the baking sheet. It will be very sticky. Using floured or wet hands, carefully form the dough into a baguette shape. Don’t manhandle the dough too much.
- Brush the loaf with the egg wash and make a few slashes in the top with a bread knife.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. I baked mine for exactly 28 minutes.
- Cool, slice and serve.
-Adapted from Cook it up Paleo