Can’t deny my love for EVERYTHING Lemon Poppyseed. These scones are absolutely scrumptious, full of tart lemon flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness. It was hard to eat just one…
- 1/3 cup organic Turbinado sugar (or organic cane sugar)
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Khorasan flour (or any other sprouted flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cold Kerrygold butter, grated
- 1/2 cup organic sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
– For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted Kerrygold butter
- 1 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner, or spray a scone pan with cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, rub the lemon zest into the sugar to release the oils. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds, and whisk to combine. Add the butter and toss to combine.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg, and vanilla, then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle about eight inches in diameter. Cut the dough into eight wedges (I used a pizza cutter) and place the pieces on the baking sheet or in the wells of the scone pan.
5. Bake 15-17 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove and let cool. While the scones are cooling, whisk together the lemon juice, melted butter, and powdered sugar. Drizzle over the scones while still slightly warm. Enjoy!
*Adapted from The Baker Upstairs