- ¼ cup unsalted Kerrygold butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup organic Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup Truvia brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups organic cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice in the milk to create buttermilk. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick flour spray.
- In a mixer, cream the butter, greek yogurt and the sugar together with the lemon zest for about 3 minutes.
- While mixing, combine the cake flour, baking powder and sea salt together. Set aside.
- In the butter greek yogurt mixture, add one egg and the vanilla to combine for another 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl. Add the 5 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix to combine for another 30 seconds. The batter will be watery.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl, alternating in sets of three with the buttermilk, ending with the flour.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix one last time to distribute them throughout the batter.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, pour the batter into each of muffin hole; they should be filled about ⅔ way high.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes (watch so that the edges do not burn) until a toothpick inserted midway comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a baking rack, allowing to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice together – note the glaze is very lemon-y and if you’d prefer a sweet glaze you can replace the lemon juice with milk.
- Pour glaze over the muffins – about a teaspoon per cupcake.
- Allow to set (about 5 minutes) and enjoy!