The perfect choice for a yummy Mexican-Style meal! The delicious Jalapeño Popper Chicken Empanadas have just the right amount of spice and a ton of flavor.
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cups cold unsalted Kerrygold butter, cubed
- 1 + 1/4 cups ice water
- 8 ounces organic cream cheese
- 2 overflowing cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup organic sour cream
- 1 + 1/2 cups fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounce can diced jalapenos, drained
- 1/2 cup corn
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- Flavor God Everything Seasoning, to taste
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon organic milk
- In a food processor pulse the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the butter and pulse until mixture is the texture of coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces butter remaining.
- Add 1 cup ice water to start and pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time if needed. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead just until dough comes together about 4 or 5 times.
- Divide into 3 equal portions, flatten them into disks and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Melt the cream cheese in a microwave proof bowl until warm enough to stir about 25 – 50 seconds.
- Add the chicken to a large mixing bowl with the cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar, jalapenos and corn. Mix well and season to taste with salt, pepper, and Everything seasoning.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and milk together. Fill a separate small bowl with cold water. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them with oil.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out one of the disks to about 1/8-inch thick. Cut out 4-inch circles using a biscuit/cookie cutter or a bowl and paring knife. Place about 1 tablespoon of the filling onto each circle.
- Use a pastry brush or your fingers to paint the edges of each circle with water then fold over and press the edges together with the tines of a fork. Refrigerate them for 20 minutes. Repeat until all the filling is used re-rolling scraps of dough if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the empanadas lightly with the egg mixture and bake 14 – 17 minutes until golden brown and piping hot in the centers. Serve hot or at room temperature with a bed of Spanish rice and enjoy!
-Adapted from Cinnamon, Spice, and Everything Nice