Are you constantly baking cookies at your house during the holidays? It’s seems like Christmas is the perfect time to bake sweet, warm, gooey cookies to serve with some milk or hot cocoa. This past weekend I had Christmas movie night (a regular occurrence during December) at my house. We watched one of my FAVORITE Christmas movies National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, drank DELISH hot chocolate, and enjoyed these yummy White Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies. It was such a great night and needless to say I really got my sweet-tooth fix for the weekend.
Sometimes it’s easy to go overboard during the holidays with sweets, but by using the cleanest ingredients possible, we can still enjoy the treats we love and not feel so badly about it after. I used to beat myself up about having a cookie or hot cocoa around Christmastime. Sometimes I would even avoid it altogether. This is CRAZY guys! We deserve to eat holiday food with our families and ENJOY these special moments.
I only made a few simple changes to this peppermint sugar cookie recipe from Cooking Classy that made it healthier but just as delicious! By using organic/clean products you can make any recipe healthier; small changes lead to big improvements, remember that. This recipe does have some sugar in it, so enjoy in moderation. I know that this is easier said than done however because they are sooooo yummy!
One of my favorite baking necessities is Truvia Baking Blend. I use this natural sweetener in place of sugar for almost all of my baking recipes because it has such an easy substitution ratio and is MUCH better for you. 1/2 cup of Truvia equals 1 cup of sugar, so you actually can use LESS of it and still get the same great taste!
The cookies are sweet, soft, and have just the right amount of peppermint. And by only dipping half of the cookie in white chocolate, the sweetness isn’t overpowering. PLUS you get the added crunch on top from the peppermint chips; a little added bonus for a peppermint addict like myself. Peppermint is my December pumpkin!
- 2¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- ¾ cup Truvia Baking Blend
- 1 cup unsalted organic/grass-fed butter, softened (I use Kerrygold)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp. peppermint extract
- 2½ cups white chocolate chips (natural/clean brand, I use Whole Food's 365 brand)
- 2½ T. organic coconut oil
- ⅓ cup peppermint bits or finely crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together Truvia and butter until combined. Mix in egg then mix in egg yolk, vanilla and peppermint extract. With mixer set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined (dough will be pretty thick).
- Scoop dough out 2 T. at a time (I like my sugar cookies big) and shape into balls. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner, spacing cookies 2-inches apart. Flatten the balls a little if you like your cookies to spread more. Bake in preheated oven 10 -11 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked). Remove from oven and let rest several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler or melting pot and mix together. Melt until smooth.
- Dip half of cooled cookies in white chocolate allowing excess to run off then transfer to wax paper and immediately sprinkle with peppermint bits. Allow to set at room temperature or in refrigerator until chocolate hardens, then enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please let me know via comment or tag me in your picture on social media @adancersplate <3 I would love to know how you liked the recipe and see your beautiful creation!