Do you remember those days when your Mom would catch you in the kitchen at your grandparent’s house and say “What have you been eating?” and you say “Nothing…” as your mouth is covered in powdered sugar and you gulp to swallow the last bite of that delicious donut or cake? Yepp, it has happened to many of us who were sugar-holics as kids and had grandparents who LOVED to feed us the sweets our parents wouldn’t let us have.
I am still such a donut (and sugar) fanatic. Every year when my family takes our annual beach trip, they always stock up on junk food…Twizzlers, chips, ice cream, and of course…DONUTS. My Dad and brother always tempt me with the bags of powdered sugar donuts. They are soooo bad, yet soooo good.
I have some pretty good will-power, but donuts are one of the hardest things to stay away from. But since I’ve learned how to make some of my favorite treats healthier, I have been able to enjoy more donuts without filling my body with harmful ingredients and feeling so gross after. Guys, these Healthier Powdered Sugar Donuts taste EVEN BETTER than those mini ones we all love. They are fluffy, moist, and SWEET of course. Oh and did I mention that they are huge?! Like the biggest donut I have ever ate; they rose to the occasion haha 😉
You can use a donut maker or donut pans for this recipe. I personally don’t have a donut maker, so I used some donut tins similar to these and baked my donuts in the oven.
This is the perfect weekend breakfast or dessert recipe! Your tummy will be happy, your lips will powdery, and your body will be thankful that you used clean ingredients to make this fantastic treat.
This recipes was adapted from one of my favorite recipe blogs, Skinny Girl Standard. Jordan has so many AMAZING skinny recipes and I have loved every single recipe of hers that I have tried.
- ¼ cup + 4 T. Truvia Baking Blend
- 4 T. Kerrgyold butter (or other organic/grass-fed butter)
- 4 T. xylitol
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 C. organic powdered sugar
- 4 T. melted Kerrygold butter
- You can make these with a donut maker, but I baked them at 375 degrees in donut tins, so preheat oven at this step if you are baking them.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine Truvia Baking Blend, butter and xylitol. Beat until combined.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract and coconut milk. Combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Slowly add dry ingredients into liquid ingredients, beating with mixer on low speed until combined.
- If using a donut maker, pour batter evenly into each donut mold and bake for about 2 - 4 minutes, depending on how quickly your donuts bake. To check if they are cooked completely, insert a toothpick through your donut to make sure batter is baked through.
- If using an oven, spray donut tins and carefully fill each tin ¾ the way full. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- While donuts are cooling, melt butter for the powdered sugar topping.
- Pour powdered sugar into a large ziplock bag.
- One by done, dip cooled donuts into butter and shake until no longer dripping. Then, put one donut into the ziplock at a time and shake until completely coated with powdered sugar. Repeat until all donuts are done.
I hope you all enjoy this delicious recipe! If you get a chance to try it, please tag me on Instagram @adancersplate and #embraceyourplate so that I can see your beautiful donuts!