Hello everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. It FINALLY snowed here in NC…it’s about time! It’s absolutely beautiful and I can’t wait to get out and explore a little. Around the holidays and into the New Year, we have so many reasons to make party foods. With the Super Bowl coming up, everyone always expects those yummy little snacks that you can eat on throughout the day. Usually those snacks consist of cheese, buffalo sauce, chips, cream cheese, chocolate….all the good stuff right?
It’s really easy to make these yummy snacks healthy; it just takes finding the right recipe that will taste just as good as the original. One of my favorite party foods are sausage balls. If I get started…it’s really hard to stop. Sausage is addicting by itself, much less mixed with cheese and spices. YUM.
I was really excited to find this Grain-Free Sausage Ball recipe by Deliciously Organic. It uses simple and healthy ingredients to make the perfect party food or appetizer. If you’re like me and LOVE these babies, then you will eat them for breakfast, lunch,, snacks…all day. I was really sad about eating my last 2 this morning at breakfast, and come to find out my Mother had eaten them about 10 minutes before I made it to the fridge. Devastation you guys. But since they are super easy to make, I’ll probably just whip up another batch soon (then hide them for myself).
If you have any type of party/celebration coming up, this is the perfect option. The best part is that no one will know they’re healthy! It’s always fun when you can trick people into thinking they are eating classic junk food and it’s actually GOOD for them.
- 1½ C. tapioca flour
- ¾ C. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 2 tsp. grain-free baking powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 12 oz. organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. spicy sausage (pastured and nitrate-free preferred)
- 1 egg
- cayenne and paprika (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper .
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the tapioca flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, garlic powder, cheese, and spices (if using). Add egg and sausage.
- Use your hands to incorporate the sausage and egg into the dry mixture (the mixture will be damp). You can also use a Kitchen-Aid mixer for this step if you prefer.
- Roll the mixture into 1½-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, until just golden brown. Cool for at least 5 minutes, then serve!