I’m officially moved into my new apartment in Charlotte, and I couldn’t be more excited! The past few days have been insanely nuts, but everything is finally coming together. Between the packing, unpacking, moving, decorating……this girl has been HUNGRY. When I’m hungry, I have to whip up something quick and easy (even then I’m usually eating bits and pieces as it’s being made). That’s just how I get. That’s why I LOVE LOVE LOVE recipes like this PB&J French Toast that are so simple to make, and so delicious that you won’t even believe it.
It’s hilarious to me that I used to hate PB&J as a kid. Like what kind of kid hates PB&J?? As I’ve gotten older, I finally how realized how wrong I was about this. It’s the best combo ever! But since I’m an adult now, I guess I have to spice things up a bit. I found this recipe from Rachl Mansfield a while back, and literally I almost died when I took a bite. Thinking to combine french toast and a PB&J is pure genius. It just takes those two classic meals to a whole new level.
As you guys probably already know, I have also been trying to eat gluten/dairy-free recently because of my skin as well as digestive reasons. It slowly seems to be helping, even though my skin has been incredibly bad lately. It’s finally getting slightly better…but sticking to this eating regimen has been pretty hard. However, finding recipes like this that allow me to enjoy something yummy that also fits what my body needs right now is fantastic.
One of the things that makes this recipe so yummy is Betsy’s Best Peanut Butter. Betsy’s nut butters are so creamy, sweet, and natural! I love that she only uses the cleanest ingredients in her butters. I have tried the Cashew and the Peanut Butter, and they are both delicious. Either one would be great in this recipe.
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread (I like Rudi's brand)
- 2 tablespoons of creamy organic/natural peanut butter (I used Betsy's Best)
- 2 tablespoons of organic strawberry jelly (or any jelly flavor you like)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened organic coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg whites
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- splash of vanilla extract
- ½ T. organic coconut oil
- 10-12 strawberries (washed and stems removed)
- 5 skewers
- organic maple syrup
- Lay the 4 slices of bread on a cutting board.
- Smear each slice with peanut butter, and then smear jelly on 2 of the 4 slices.
- Create 2 sandiwiches, each with 1 PB side and one PB&J side gently pressed together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Grease a large pan with coconut oil so whole pan is coated.
- Take each PB&J sandwich and dip each side into the wet mixture, fully coating.
- Place both sandwiches on heated pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or unitl brown.
- Remove from pan and place back on your cutting board.
- Cut into 3 rows down and across, making 9 squares with each sandwich.
- Alternate your french toast squares and strawberries on the skewers. Serve with some warm organic maple syrup for the best taste!
If you get a chance to try this delicious recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram @adancersplate or #embraceyourplate so that I can see your beautiful creations!