Hey guys! So I just made this delicious breakfast treat (at dinnertime) for my boyfriend’s birthday. He, along with the rest of my family absolutely loved it! The recipe was my Grammy’s, and my Mom had never tried it before. I used a basic waffle recipe that I found online (which made deliciously fluffy waffles) and paired it with my Grammy’s Fruit Syrup topped with a delicious homemade whipped cream for a fabulous breakfast dish! The syrup is made up of apple juice, apples, blueberries, and strawberries that all come together for a wonderfully fruity Spring treat. Enjoy!
Fruit Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup organic apple juice
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1-2 Tbs. cornstarch (add water)
- stevia (to taste)
- Add juice and apples to large saucepan on medium-high heat, bringing to rapid boil. Cook until apples are tender.
- Add lemon zest, vanilla, and nutmeg. Stir well.
- Add blueberries, and strawberries. Mash well. Add water and cornstarch mixture to the saucepan.
- Continue to boil and cook mixture until it has reached a thick, syrupy consistency. Sweeten with stevia to taste, and keep on low heat while you prepare the waffles.
- 1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. organic cane sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups organic whole milk
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the dry ingredient mixture, and placing the whites in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat whites until moderately stiff; set aside.
- Add milk and melted butter to dry ingredient mixture and blend.
- Fold stiff egg whites into mixture.
- Ladle mixture into hot, greased waffle iron and bake.
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 carton organic heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- stevia (to taste)
- Put whipping cream, vanilla, and stevia in large mixing bowl and beat on high speed until mixture is stiff.
-Top waffles with Fruity Syrup and serve with whipped cream (organic or homemade) lemon zest, and turkey bacon for a heavenly treat!
*Waffle recipe adapted from Food.com