Hi lovelies! Recently I wrote a blog post about how FATS are actually GOOD for you titled Embrace the Good Fats! I hope this provided you with the understanding that our bodies need GOOD FATS in order to be healthy. This “low-fat” phenomena that we have heard for so long actually makes people fatter and sicker! So, eating these good fats is not only healthier for us, but tastier as well! It’s almost impossible to eat every single meal with perfect ingredients and fats because who really wants to cook every meal at home? We all want to go out to restaurants occasionally, which is totally fine! I do it all the time. However, changing a few simple things in our daily diets when we cook/eat from home can make a huge difference to our overall wellness. Here are a few of the changes that I have made to my diet including several essentials that aid in this new way of eating I have come to LOVE.
- Kerrygold Butter- In America, we have been trained to think that butter is going to make us fat and give us heart disease. WRONG. The lack of butter in our diets is the reason we continue to gain weight and get sick. REAL butter is one of the most important things to include in our daily diets. Sarah Pope, the writer of Get Your Fats Straight says that ” It’s a key source of all the fat-soluble nutrients that we lack today.” I use the Kerrygold butter brand because it is REAL grass-fed butter. There is no added ingredients….it’s just pure real butter that you can put on literally EVERYTHING and its GREAT for you! Do not be deceived like I was for so long by “butters” (not really butter) like I Can’t Believe it’s not Butter! that advertise low-fat butters. These butters actually have trans-fats in them that cause us to gain weight instead of lose it! Use Kerrygold butter to substitute margarine and shortening in recipes or simply put it on toast, potatoes, biscuits, anything!
- Ghee- So Ghee is my new-found love! The health benefits of Ghee are absolutely astounding! Ghee is the milk solids that are removed from butter. Of course, you want to make sure that the Ghee is organic/grass-fed. It’s pretty much a buttery form of butter….like movie theater butter in a jar….AMAZING. I put it on absolutely everything. Ghee is pretty expensive so I don’t cook, bake, and fry as much with it as I do butter. I use it more for it’s delicious flavor on toast, bagels, waffles, pancakes, and anything else that I want to have a great buttery taste. If you use Ghee on several things that you eat throughout the day or put it in your tea/coffee, it will actually reduce sugar cravings and help you lose weight! This stuff is gold.
- Coconut Oil- We all hear about the benefits of coconut oil on television and online constantly. It’s like the Wonder Woman of fats. Not only does it promote weight loss, hair growth, radiant skin, and brain function, but it will make you feel happy and less moody! The benefits are endless really. To get the benefits of coconut oil, it needs to be ingested somehow. This part is hard for me because of the texture; I can’t bring myself to eat it off a spoon yet. But putting it in coffee or tea helps, or you can spread it on toast or something similar and cover it with your favorite organic jam. A new way to use coconut oil that I LOVE is frying things in it. I love fried food….who doesn’t? So frying things in coconut oil will help you get that same fried taste and texture without the bad fats and calories. However, make sure the coconut oil does not hit a smoking point when you are using it to fry things. This removes all of the good vitamins from it that your body needs. Supermodels have been known to take 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil a day by mouth in order to maintain their weight. MAGIC. My favorite coconut oil is the Whole Foods 365, Unrefined.
- Grass Fed Milk- It is so crucial that our bodies intake REAL ORGANIC MILK that has not been ruined by the large companies. Did you know that farmers give their pigs low-fat milk to make them fat? Yet most Americans get low-fat or non-fat milk when they go to the grocery store…so messed up. The purest kind of milk that is going to benefit your body the most is 100% Grass-Fed Organic Milk. We get ours from local farmers (the cream on top of those is always the best). However, Organic Valley has GrassMilk in most grocery stores that is great as well. Also, organic grass-fed heavy cream is great for baking, putting in coffee, and making whipped cream; it has so many great nutrients and fats in it….and it’s delicious! Usually this is only available at local farms.
- Kerrygold Cheese- I looooveeee cheese. Quesadillas, grilled cheese, cheese on crackers, cheese burgers, you name it! So needless to say I was ecstatic when I found out that Kerrygold makes their own grass-fed cheeses. Their various cheeses include Dubliner, Aged Cheddar, Reserve Cheddar, Skellig, Blarney Caste, Swiss, and Blue Cheese. Substitute those fake cheeses we are so used to eating with this yummy REAL cheese that is good for your waistline and your taste buds.
- Organic Free Range Eggs- Yes people, the WHOLE EGG is good for you! This whole “egg whites only” thing is absurd. You’re just throwing away one of the most nutritious parts of the eggs that gives us fats that our body NEEDS. When buying eggs at a grocery store, you want to make sure that they are not only organic, but free-range and non-gmo. Getting eggs from a local farm is ideal if they have these qualifications. PS: Eggs are great with Kerrygold cheese on top….two great fats in one meal!
I hope this information will help you add nutrition to your daily diet along with the fact that these fats are delicious! Your food will taste better than ever and you will notice the changes in your body almost immediately. You’ll feel better, look better, and be better! Bon appetite!