I absolutely LOVE scones. And chocolate…so how perfect is this combination?! These scones are super moist, gooey, and have the perfect amount of sweetness without being too rich. Annddd they are grain-free! Cassava flour does wonders my friends. I paired my scone with some delicious cherries and morning latte for breakfast…killer.
Yield: 8 scones
- 1 cup Cassava flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. Kerrygold butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 Tbsp. organic maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. xylitol
- 4 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. organic milk, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. mini chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp. organic milk
- Stevia, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Cassava flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or the back of a fork until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the Greek yogurt, maple syrup, 4 tablespoons of milk, and vanilla. Gently fold in 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet, and shape into a ¾” tall circle using a spatula. Brush with the remaining milk. Slice the circle into 8 triangular segments with a sharp knife. Gently press any extra chocolate chips on top that you want ( I like mine super chocolatey)! Bake at 425°F for 15-18 minutes, or tips of each scone triangle in the center of the pan feel firm to the touch. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the drizzle, stir together the cocoa powder, maple syrup, and milk in a small bowl. Add Stevia to make the drizzle a little sweeter, if desired. Transfer the mixture to a zip-topped bag, and cut off a tiny piece of one corner. Just before serving, drizzle on top of the baked scones.
*Adapted from Amy’s Healthy Baking Blog