Hello everyone! The death of Prince has been such a sad and terrible thing, but it’s been really great how he has been honored for his artistry and fabulous music. So, a few days ago I pulled out my Mom’s Purple Rain record (which is extremely cool) and enjoyed some of the yummiest Cinnamon Swirl Bread EVER! Best part? It’s grain free! A wonderful treat that is incredibly healthy but tastes sinfully unhealthy.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 T. active dry yeast
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup+1/3 cup Cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 T. coconut flour, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- sprinkle of Stevia
- 6 T. Ghee
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 T. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a bread pan with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, oil, honey or maple syrup, egg yolks, yeast, vanilla extract, Stevia, and cinnamon. Whisk together and set aside.
- Crack the egg whites into a metal or glass bowl (not plastic or copper) and whisk until soft peaks form.
- In another smaller bowl, combine 1 cup Cassava flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Whisk the cassava flour mixture into the yeast mixture.
- Carefully fold the egg white into the yeast and cassava flour mixture.
- Fold in the coconut flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in the remaining 1/3 cup Cassava flour. Set bread mixture aside.
- Melt the Ghee is a sauce pan over medium-low heat, then add the coconut sugar. Mix well with a whisk and then add the cinnamon. Whisk mixture well and turn heat down to low, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Spread thin layer of bread batter (1/3) in the bread pan and spread about 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture on top (the dough mixture will be sticky to spread, but that’s normal). Repeat with another layer of dough and another layer of 1/3 of the filling. Then a final layer of dough and then pour the rest of the filling on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. It will be bubbling around the edges. Let bread cool completely before slicing.
*Recipe adapted from Cook It Up Paleo