Chocolate. Hummus. Sounds kind of crazy right?? That’s what I thought at first, but then I tried it. Holy Cow. Never underestimate the power of garbanzo beans guys because they can do amazing things. This healthy hummus doesn’t taste like hummus…or like it’s healthy. It tastes like a chocolate dip for things like fruit, pretzels, and graham crackers (yes, you could definitely use it for s’mores). You could even mix it into your oatmeal or yogurt for something really delicious; the possibilities are endless.
This recipe only uses a few simple and wholesome ingredients, and all you have to do is just throw them in a blender or food processor…how great is that?! I’m such a hummus person. I eat the savory kind almost every single day with veggies or blue corn chips. This version is a nice change and also helps satisfy my never-ending sweet tooth.
The first time I used garbanzo beans in a sweet treat, I was a little worried how it would taste. But they DEFINITELY don’t taste like beans or have a weird flavor. they pretty much just take up space and help the hummus or desserts come together in place of other unhealthy ingredients. Garbanzo beans are loaded with fiber and great for digestion, so you get some great health benefits out of this yummy snack!
This delicious recipe was adapted from Don’t Waste the Crumbs.
- ½ C. organic garbanzo beans (or chickpeas)
- 3½ T. organic maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 T. unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- 2 T. water (optional)
- Stevia (to taste)
- In a blender or in a food processor, combine all the ingredients except water and Stevia.
- Puree until the mixture is smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time to create the consistency you want.
- Taste the hummus and see if it needs additional sweetener. If so, add Stevia (sparingly) until sweet enough.
- Serve with pretzels, graham crackers, or fruit and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this delicious recipe, tag me on Instagram @adancersplate and #embraceyourplate so that I can see your fabulous creation!