So this is my second Piña Colada post in the past few days….but I’m not apologizing. Anything Piña Colada is fabulous right?! I figured since it is almost the 4th of July, I would give you guys a festive dessert recipe that everyone will love and is super easy to make! This cake burst with pineapple and coconut flavor and is super moist and light. Not healthy unfortunately, but we all deserve to splurge sometimes right?
- 1 box butter cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 15-ounce can cream of coconut
- 1 15.25-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- shredded coconut and maraschino cherries, to garnish if desired
- Prepare and bake cake in a 9×13 pan according to package directions. While your cake is baking, mix together the reserved pineapple juice, sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut until smooth.
- Immediately after removing your cake from the oven, use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the milk mixture over the top of the warm cake, making sure to get it down into the holes. The cake will appear very saturated, but that’s okay. Evenly spread the reserved crushed pineapple all over the top. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- On the day of serving you will want to make the topping. For the topping, beat cream vigorously by hand with a whisk or using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer. When the cream starts to thicken, add in the powdered sugar and coconut extract. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Spread the topping across the cake evenly and garnish with shredded coconut and maraschino cherries.