These Summer vibes you guys…I just love it. Recently I’ve been craving everything Summer, from the sunshine, to the beach, nights out with friends, and of course…..all the delicious Summer food. Where I’m working and in the studio a lot, I really have squeeze these other things in little by little. A lot of times if I’m all work and no play, it makes me feel really restricted and overwhelmed. But since tomorrow is the 4th of July, I decided to plan a day with one of my good friends, and enjoy all the celebrations here in Charlotte; I’m pretty stoked.
The first thing that comes to my mind when planning a celebration, event, or get-together is FOOD….DUH! So I was really excited to make some popsicles for the 4th because I LOOOVEEE popsicles and I had a really great recipe idea that involved some delicious Pacari chocolate. (I recently got their Salt and Cacao Nibs bar, and it’s so delicious.) I looked everywhere, and I mean everywhere for popsicle molds and they were no where to be found! I searched Target, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond, Michael’s…..I honestly couldn’t believe that they didn’t have one single set of popsicle molds. I take that back, they did have them, but they were in the shapes of creepy little monsters or the tops had the poop emoji sticker on top. No, I’m not kidding.
After all of this, I was quite frustrated. But then I had a friend send me the idea to make watermelon pops, and all I would need was the wooden stick to make them. Let’s be honest, I have always hated watermelon; it just never had any taste to me. However, I was desperate and decided to go for it….PLUS they looked super cute. The idea came from Made by Mary. She has such a wonderful Instagram and blog, you should totally check it out.
So guess what? I actually like watermelon! It’s still not my favorite thing by itself, but if you spice it up a little (like with this recipe) it can be absolutely delicious! Such an easy and healthy treat, and it’s perfect for a Summer day! This was my first experience actually slicing my own watermelon (which is kind of hilarious) but I have included a video below in case you need some help as well. It’s pretty simple actually. Also, you will only use about 1/2 the melon for this recipe, so you can either double the other ingredients or just slice the melon for another recipe/snack.
- ½ watermelon, sliced
- 2 bars of Pacari chocolate (I used the Salt and Nibs flavor)
- 1 can full fat coconut cream
- cacao nibs
- coconut shreds
- In a melting pot or in a double boiler, melt chocolate bars. Keep the melted chocolate on medium heat until ready to use.
- Whip coconut cream using a whisk or stand mixer until it is thick and fluffy, like whipped cream.
- Lay watermelon out on parchment paper. Carefully spoon your chocolate into a piping bag (or ziplock with the end snipped) and drizzle over your watermelon.
- Repeat this with the coconut cream.
- Top with cacao nibs, coconut shreds, and xyltol and put in the freezer for about 10 minutes, or until chocolate hardens. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
If you get a chance to try this delicious recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram @adancersplate or #embraceyourplate so that I can see you yummy Summer creations!