Who doesn’t love the sweet and crunchy taste of candied pecans? They are a huge hit, especially around the holiday season. However, these decadent little treats are usually chalked full of sugar and corn syrup which is so BAD for you! So that means we only get to enjoy them once in a while for a treat right? Wrong! You can actually enjoy a much healthier version of these pecans all year long. Add them to your healthy waffles, pancakes, brownies, oatmeal, yogurt, or eat them alone as a snack! Either way, these little guys are a great super-food with ingredients that are GOOD for your body! Treat yourself and improve your health <3
- 1 cup raw pecans (rounded)
- 1/2 an egg (yolk and whites, whisked)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon Kerrygold butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon organic whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (divided)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (more or less to taste)
1. In a small mixing bowl combine egg, agave nectar, melted butter, milk and vanilla. Stir well. Let stand one minute or more.
2. Mix pecans into egg mixture. Stir well and let stand while preparing cinnamon sugar and baking sheet.
3. In a ziplock bag, spoon in cinnamon and two tablespoons coconut sugar. Close and shake to mix well. Place aluminum foil or parchment paper on standard baking sheet and lightly grease (I use coconut oil).
4. Remove nuts from bowl with slotted spoon and place in ziplock bag with cinnamon and sugar. The nuts should be generously coated with the egg mixture. Shake well to cover nuts with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Pour onto prepped baking pan and spread evenly in a single layer. Sprinkle nuts with remaining tablespoon of coconut sugar. Bake at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for approx. 30 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet then remove.
*Recipe adapted from Nutritionicity