This 70 degree weather is giving me Summer vibes! I am absolutely loving it. Unfortunately I’m inside today for work, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be enjoying some Summery treats like this delicious Blueberry Coconut Nice Cream. So as many of you know, I have been attempting a grain-free and dairy-free diet this week, and it has actually went really well! It’s been hard sometimes though (craving that Halo Top ice cream) and other sweet treats, but I know my body was needing a break. I have seen “nice-cream” for a while on Instagram and Pinterest, but I finally decided to try it this week. YUM.
Nice-Cream is a phrase to describe ice cream that is dairy-free, and made with bananas to sweeten and give it that creamy texture that we all love. I was skeptical at first because I don’t like my smoothies (or anything else for that matter) to be overpowered by a strong banana taste. But that wasn’t the case at all! The combination of blueberries and coconut in this recipe definitely overtook the bananas and you couldn’t even taste them! They were simply there to sweeten and thicken the mixture.
Though I made this nice cream in a stand mixer and the froze it, I STRONGLY recommend using an ice cream/frozen yogurt maker. The end result will be much more creamy and like actual ice cream if you do it that way. It was still delicious the way that I made it, but the texture just didn’t reach the place I wanted it to. That being said, my roommate from college had an ice cream maker that worked so well, and it was inexpensive. I will link it here (I am purchasing one for myself ASAP).
So when it comes to eating yogurt, ice cream, or anything with that texture really….I HAVE to have toppings. Toppings just make everything so much better. For this recipe, I toasted some coconut (which is always great) and I also used a Coconut Cherry Square Organic Bar. Holy cow you guys, this was seriously such an amazing combo; the flavors meshed perfectly together. Don’t forget to use offer code “adancersplate” for 20% off your purchase at Square Organics!
- 3 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 T. arrowroot powder
- 1 C. organic fresh or frozen blueberries (plus more for topping)
- ½ C. organic maple syrup
- 1 big squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- toasted coconut (for topping)
- Coconut Cherry Square Organics Bar
- Mix all the ingredients together in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Pour into a container and chill overnight.
- Once the mixture is chilled, add it to your ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions. Once churned, add to freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- If you have a stand mixer with a metal bowl, you can freeze the bowl overnight and "churn" the ice cream using the paddle attachment.
- Otherwise, you will need to whisk the mixture well before freezing it and may need to check on it a couple of times and whisk again to add lot's of air to it and prevent it turning icy. (Mine still turned a little icy, so I would definitely recommend using an ice cream maker if possible)
- Whichever method you choose, I recommend letting the nice cream sit out on the counter for 10-15 minutes before serving so that it is creamy and soft. Top with toasted coconut, your Cherry Coconut Square Bar, additional blueberries, and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this yummy recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram @adancersplate or #embraceyourplate so that I can see your beautiful creations!
*This recipe was adapted from Wall Flower Kitchen