Today it has been a beautiful day, but deceitfully cold! I’m ready for Spring weather again. This yummy breakfast treat did just the trick to brighten up my day.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, unthawed
- 8 ounces organic cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 Tbsp. xylitol or organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3 Tbsp. water
- organic powdered ugar – for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out thawed puff pastry into a 12×9″ rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise, yielding 2 4-½” strips. Cut those two strips crosswise into thirds, to yield six 4×4 ½” pieces.
With a knife, score ½” border around the edge of each piece of puff pastry. Use a fork to make five or six pricks into the dough within the border of each piece. This will help keep the middle of each piece from rising.
- In a bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, xylitol, vanilla and almond extract. Spoon about 2-3 heaping tablespoons of mixture into the middle of each piece of dough and spread around evenly, ensuring the mix stays within the borders. Into the middle of the cream cheese, add blueberries and press down into the cream cheese lightly so they set in place.
- In a small dish or cup, whisk together the egg and water. Using a pastry brush – brush the edges of the puff pastry with the mixture. This will help the edges turn golden brown and crispy.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown, on the middle rack and rotate the baking sheet half way through baking. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.