I made this delicious recipe for breakfast on this snowy morning, and my whole family love it! It will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth without all of the calories.
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup packed dark brown Truvia
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Truvia
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted Kerrygold butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup organic sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apple
- 1 cup organic confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. line a 12-cup muffin-tin with paper liners.
- in a medium bowl, combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon. mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. cut 8 tablespoons of butter into ½ inch pieces and sprinkle evenly over flour mixture. using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is oat-sized. remove 1 cup of the flour-butter mixture and stir into reserved brown sugar mixture until combined to make streusel; set aside. add baking powder and baking soda to remaining flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together sour cream, egg, and vanilla. add liquids to flour mixture and stir until just combined. add 3/4 cup of streusel mixture to flour mixture and stir until streusel is just distributed throughout batter. melt the remaining butter and stir into remaining streusel mixture, until streusel resembles a crumble. gently fold apples into batter.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups and sprinkle generously with streusel topping, crumbling with your hands to make some big chunks. bake 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean. allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla extract together. drizzle over muffins.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy this tasty breakfast treat!
-Adapted from Oh Sweet Basil