- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Truvia
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup organic greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon egg-whites
- +1 tablespoon flour
Cinnamon Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon Kerrygold butter (melted)
- Sprinkle of Truvia
- 1 teaspoon organic brown sugar (or brown sugar Truvia)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Almond Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/2 tablespoon almonds
- 1 tablespoon Organic powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all dry ingredients for the “Bun” only, excluding the additional tablespoon of flour for dusting.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients for the “Bun” only.
- Once your liquids have been mixed well, add them to your dry ingredients and mix until combined. Your batter should be pretty thick, forming a cohesive mound.
- Lightly sprinkle a clean, flat surface (such as your countertop) with flour. Take your dough, rolled into a ball, and place on floured surface. Roll out with a rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for your cinnamon-filling excluding Kerrygold (or butter).
- Brush your dough with ghee, and follow by sprinkling with cinnamon-mixture.
- Roll up your dough like you are rolling up a stick of wrapping paper. Once rolled, place it on a sheet of parchment paper or non-stick foil, shaped in a “U.”
- Pop in the oven and bake for approximately 12 – 15 minutes, or until your almond bun is barely browned on the edges and golden in the middle. You may also pierce with a toothpick to make sure it has fully cooked! If you find wet batter on your toothpick, continue baking until the same test does not remove wet batter.
- While your bun is baking, mix together ingredients for almond glaze. You can choose to include sliced almonds, or you can leave almonds out and sprinkle on at the end.
- Remove bun and brush with almond glaze. Add almonds.
*Adapted from Skinny Girl Standard