Hey guys! So today was my last lesson before competition! Holy Moly I’m getting super excited, and nervous. I thought I was going to die after a few rounds…my legs were jelly by the end, but now I feel super prepared for Friday. I’ve been running around like crazy the past couple days trying to get nails done, tanned, eyebrows waxed, dress fixed…so I love when I get to sit down at a cute little cafe or restaurant and just chill for a bit. I’ve been to so many great places recently that I thought I would share them with you; it’s been a while since my last restaurant post “NC Foodie Finds.” There are so many great places around Asheville to eat, and what’s really cool is that most places use local and organic produce which makes eating out a lot healthier!
- Biscuit Head- You guys, this place is so great. If you are in the mood for a delicious, simple Southern breakfast, this is your place. Their biscuits are buttery, flaky, and fabulous. I got a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice and sriracha maple sausage with my biscuit which was a wonderful combination. Now for the best part…the jam and butter bar. So many delicious jams like raspberry, blackberry, and peach, and butters like cinnamon sugar, banana fosters, and more! I tried as many as I possibly could and loved every single one.
2. Modesto- I don’t know about you but my boyfriend and I are always in the mood for Italian food. Pizza, pasta, bread, you name it! We love it all. Modesto is a really nice Italian restaurant in downtown Asheville that really creates unique dishes that are full of flavor and local ingredients. The bread and pesto dip is to die for! I tried not to overload before my meal came. Luke got the Local Apple Pizza which had gorgonzola, mozzarella, chicken, pine nuts, rosemary along with apples that had been soaked in wine. The pizza itself was delicious but the apples were pretty strong for my taste (Luke picked his off lol). I don’t exactly remember the name of what I ordered but it was pasta with grilled chicken, pesto, and an egg on top. It was FABULOUS!
3. Another Broken Egg- So yes, I could totally eat breakfast for every meal of the day and now that I am finally eating eggs, it makes the possibilities endless! Absolutely loved this restaurant; I went here with my Mom and she loved it as much as I did. I got the Southwest Scramble plate which was scrambled eggs, chorizo, onions, tomatoes, green chilies with Cheddar-Jack, guacamole, salsa and tortillas. It was so yummy!
4. Doc Chey’s- I’m a huge fan of noodle houses…because hello, I love noodles. But I also love all the unique flavors that Thai food incorporates. This is probably my favorite Thai restaurant I’ve been to and they have the best Pad Thai ever! That’s what my boyfriend ordered and I kept eating his. I ordered the Spicy Thai Basil which was also delicous, just a much more simple flavor. We also got an appetizer of their Edamame which was addicting.
5. Sunny Point Cafe- One of my Mom’s photographer friends introduced us to this little place and it’s definitely a new favorite of mine. It’s not just another Southern brunch restaurant, it’s THE SOUTHERN BRUNCH restaurant. Everything that I tried was fabulous. I started out with fresh squeezed orange juice and then I ordered the Carrot Cake Hot Cake with a side of Cheesy Chipotle Grits. The pancakes were amazing and the grits were delicious as well. This place just has such a great outdoor vibe and everything and they use local and organic produce. They even have a large garden behind the restaurant you can walk through.
6. Elements Real Food- I seriously am addicted to this place…I think I went there like 4 times last week. They use all organic produce in their juices, smoothies, nut mylks, and food. My favorite things I’ve had from there (as of now) are the Medicine Mylk, the Chocolate Bliss smoothie, and the Acai Bowl. The Medicine Mylk has yummy ingredients like cashews, vanilla bean, and dates that make it sweet and delicious. The Chocolate Bliss smoothie uses almond butter, cacao, and banana to make it so rich and creamy. The Acai Bowl is loaded with house made granola, fresh berries, and this cashew caramel pudding that is just….WOW. Such a great modern and earthy atmosphere along with fantastic food that will nourish your body.
7. West End Bakery- This is the cute little bakery I came across today after my dance lesson. I was SUPER hungry and my meal was GREAT and filled me up really quickly. This spot is super cute with local art on the walls and comfy couches near the front windows that allow the light to brighten up the whole place. There was so much to choose from that I wasn’t quite sure what to get, but I decided on half of The Southern sandwich on French Bread (they use organic flour) topped off with pimento cheese, antibiotic and hormone-free ham, tomato, and red onion cooked on a panini grill. It was absolutely delicious! I also had a side of Curry Chickpea Salad which was also super great. I really loved it. It’s a great place to take your laptop or a book and just hang out. PS: If you haven’t read “Me Before You,” do. it. now. (More about that to come!)
I hope you get to check out at least a few of these places! They are all really great with their own unique vibes and cuisine. You really can’t go wrong.
A girl’s gotta eat,
Ashlyn Tori <3